Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Ahh Lagos... and the reason I'm here.

So we have arrived in this little party town and I have nothing but good things to say about the place we are staying at, Solar De Mos.. absolutely fantastic. The staff here are warm and helpfull with the perfect dose of cheek. They make fun of us tourists while taking fantastic care of us. The entire staff appears to be related, which adds that extra flair. It's funny to watch the bartenders fight about which is the better Port.

Time is still passing very quickly for us, our days are packed with spectacular adventures. We are making full use of the car we have rented, and have explored in full both coasts of portugal as well as forays into the interior. Standard site seeing has taken place, and Emily and I are getting along famously. Some of the standout spots we have visited are the grottos along the coast here that unfold in shocking reds and oranges into a aquamarine ocean breaking against the rocks. I also can't say enough about the driving here... lush rolling hills with tiny towns tucked away that are all friendly and rustic. Ancient monastaries hidden in hills that take some intrepid travel to find, but are always worth the effort. This is a land with such a rich history, and if you look hard enough you can find it everywhere. We could not have picked a better spot to visit, and I could not have picked a better person to be here with...

*** Warning, Sappy! Guard your eyes! ***

I love my wife. Emily has been fantastic... and as beautiful as it is here, she outshines it all. She is a joy to travel with, always up for an adventure and as giving as we all know her to be. I find myself sneaking glances at the passenger seat more than I do out the windows of the car. As breathtaking as Portugal is, she is the one that truly takes my breath away. I'm here on my honeymoon with the best woman I have ever met, and I was lucky enough to trick her into marrying a normal, boring guy like me. Portugal and the beauty here has brought a light into her eyes that no camera can capture, and I am not ashamed to say that I am glad to have her all to myself here. I love her, with all my heart. We are all lucky to be her friend, but I alone get to be her husband, here on our honeymoon, and that thought alone makes me happier than all the beauty in Portugal.

-Michael

4 comments:

Emily & Mike said...

Well, now I am crying...came to read the entry my wonderful husband wrote, and am in awe of his kind words towards me. This is indeed a magical place, and I couldnÂșt be hear with anyone better. Driving through the small tiny lanes of country mountain villages is no small feat, and Michael masters them with confidence and patience. He has been completely giving and kind, and easy to please. I admit, I am a bit surprised at how well we work together on this trip. I expected for more conflict-but we have both been working hard to accomodate each other's wishes. I definately married the right man, and together we are creating the most wonderful memories. ~Emily

Unknown said...

oh my dear emily and mike,
you kids make me happy just reading your blog and comments. Enjoy every minute and make memories for a lifetime.
We are thinking of you . So sad I missed you this morning Mike.
Take care with love your Mom/Marion

Unknown said...

Blah, blah, blah...barf! Ha ha...no seriously...am SO glad to read that you are having the most fantastic time and are enjoying yourselves so much.

Big love,

Keith

Unknown said...

did you lose a bet or something? i mean, seriously... make with the talk about pwning n00bs at a paella eating contests and sangria-offs.

all joking aside, i'm exceedingly happy for you, my friend, as you seem to have caught a good wave (in the grand ride of the waxing and waning process that we call lifelong love), and what gorgeous timing too, on your honeymoon. :p enjoy it, get drunk on it, and may it last as long as your intentions.

miss you both, and hope to see you sooner than later,

waiken